Dr. William "Trey" Shield, MD
General Orthopaedic Surgery
Total Hip and Knee Replacement Specialist
Dr. William “Trey” Shield is a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon joining Orthopaedic Medical Group this year. He is a native of the metro Detroit area and attended the University of Michigan Honors College and graduated with a bachelor of science in microbiology. He then worked at the National Cancer Institute as a research fellow for two years prior to returning to the University of Michigan to complete medical school in 2015.
Following medical school he then completed a 5-year orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Maryland and R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, Maryland where he served as academic chief resident. During residency he was awarded the senior research award and has published peer-reviewed journal articles in the field of joint replacement. While in residency Dr. Shield became interested in joint reconstruction and chose to pursue an additional year of specialized training in the field.
Upon completion of residency he began fellowship at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla, California where he focused on primary and revision hip and knee replacement as well as knee joint preservation techniques and osteochondral allograft. At the completion of his fellowship, he was drawn to Tampa, Florida due to the excellent reputation of OMG as well the presence of several prior University of Maryland residency graduates.
Dr. Shield prides himself in utilizing an evidence based approach to caring for patients with not only hip and knee pain but general orthopaedics and patients of all ages. He believes that his training is never truly complete and is an a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons as well as the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. He has trained extensively in the anterior approach for the total hip arthroplasty and performs primary as well as revision total hip and knee arthroplasty.
When not in the operating room or caring for patients in clinic he can be found spending time with his wife and children and also enjoys traveling, golf, and playing guitar.
- Total Hip & Knee Replacement Specialist
- General Orthopaedics
- Anterior Approach Total Hip Arthroplasty
- Primary Total Hip & Knee Arthroplasty
- Revision Total Hip & Knee Arthroplasty
- Joint Replacement
- Joint Reconstruction
Clinical Support Staff
- Physician Associate: Travis Fann
- Athletic Trainer: Hanna Merrifield
Education & Certifications
- Undergraduate: University of Michigan Honors College
- Medical Degree: University of Michigan
- Orthopaedic Surgery Training: University of Maryland Medical Center and R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
- Post-Residency Training: Scripps Clinic
In The News
Hospital & Surgical Locations
- OMG Surgery Center – Lithia, FL
- Winter Haven Hospital – Winter Haven, FL
- St. Joseph’s South Hospital – Riverview, FL